As Montessori educators we feel it is vital to be active in our community and to raise an awareness in our pupils about the value of assisting others, showing kindness and respect;
Isibonelo Creche in Ndwedwe
This ongoing relationship involves assistance on several levels:
- As school leaders and teachers we provide mentorship to the school and have assisted with administration systems and curriculum development.
- Our pupils have an annual Mandela Day book and stationery collection for the school.
- Our pupils host a Christmas party for the Isibonelo school leavers, for which they prepare the food, games and gift packs. This has become one of the happiest days of our school year.
- During the COVID-19 pandemic we launched the “Helping Hands” campaign and for this our pupils completed extra chores at home to raise money for food parcels and PPE for Isibonelo pupils. We were amazed by the focus that our pupils gave to this project, working hard on their chores at home during lockdown for the benefit of others.
Thula-Thula Rhino Orphanage
Our primary pupils hone their entrepreneurial skills to run an annual bake sale to raise money for the incredible work undertaken at Thula Thula.
Durban North Enviro Fixers
We are proud to be enthusiastic members of this community group, who work hard to clean up and beautify common areas in our suburb. The outreach work compliments the environmental focus that we have to our teaching. We often join in with alien eradication and tree planting activities in the Bridgevale Valley Park. This is a peaceful haven for nature in central Durban North. It is a very special to us, being only a 5 minute walk from the school, we are able to enjoy trail runs and nature walks there with all ages.
Other Recent Collaborations
We like to respond to current needs in our community
whenever we are able, recent projects have included:
- Water Donations at times of drought
- Pet food for SPCA
- Beach clean-ups at Blue Lagoon
- Food donation and materials donation for hand washing stations for Warwick Triangle street traders.